Sitemap hint in robots.txt
Just a quick tip for those of you that are building XML sitemaps for your web sites. You can now add a line to your
robots.txt file to include a pointer to your sitemap file, it would look like this:
This will allow your sitemap to be picked up by several search engines automatically. I first noticed this about a month ago, not sure how long this feature has been around.
Like this? Follow me ↯Tweet Follow @pfreitag
Sitemap hint in robots.txt was first published on June 13, 2007.
If you like reading about sitemaps, google, seo, robots, or crawlers then you might also like:
- Pinging Search Engines when Sitemaps Change
- Google Sitemaps Accepts RSS and Atom Feeds
- Google Site Verification
- Loss of traffic due to Google sitemaps
- Google Sitemaps Protocol
- Googlebot to Submit Web Forms
- GoogleBot Runs AJAX?
- It takes more than just PageRank