Pinging Search Engines when Sitemaps Change
By Pete Freitag
Here's another little known feature about the sitemaps protocol, you can actually ping search engines and crawlers to tell them about your sitemap, or to tell them that it has changed.
It's pretty simple all you need to do is send a HTTP request to:
A few notes:
- The search engine ping url for google is
- Your sitemap url should be URL encoded, that means use the
URLEncodedFormatfunction if your using ColdFusion.
- If the ping is valid, it will return a HTTP 200 OK response code.
Pinging Search Engines when Sitemaps Change was first published on July 18, 2007.
If you like reading about google, sitemaps, seo, webmasters, or ping then you might also like:
- Sitemap hint in robots.txt
- Google Webmaster Stats
- Google Sitemaps Accepts RSS and Atom Feeds
- Google Site Verification