Yahoo Pipes Generates Invalid RSS Feeds
I was doing some regression testing today on foundeo's feed parser for ColdFusion today, and when I saw some posts today on Yahoo Pipes, so I thought I'd add one of their RSS feeds to my test harness.
When I ran the test I found that the dates were not parsing correctly. After a closer look at their RSS 2.0 feed I noticed that they are formatting dates using ISO 8601 (for example: 2007-02-22T20:06:31.0-00:00).
I know what your thinking: An RSS 2.0 feed using an ISO 8601! Everyone knows RSS 2.0 uses RFC 822 for formatting dates (eg: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 20:06:31 GMT)! ISO 8601 is used in Atom and RSS 1.0 feeds. Ok, you probably weren't thinking that, but if you had been messing with RSS feeds today you might have.
A quick run a feedvalidator.org will confirm that RFC 822 is required for RSS 2.0. It's just a little suprising that Yahoo didn't do that before launching this awesome service!
Like this? Follow me ↯Tweet Follow @pfreitag
You might also like:
- Foundeo's 2007 End of the Year Sale - December 21, 2007
- Google Sitemaps Accepts RSS and Atom Feeds - September 12, 2005
- 8 Ways to Save Bandwidth on your RSS Feed - July 12, 2007
- Trick or Treat - Web 2.0 Goodies for ColdFusion - October 31, 2006
- Zookoda For Sale - September 22, 2006
- Apple still likes their RSS icon - January 10, 2006
- SoloSub is for button addicts - October 6, 2005
- Howto Create an RSS 2.0 Feed - September 13, 2005