It takes more than just PageRank
Here's a great example showing that it takes more than just a higher PageRank to be the #1 result in google for a given query. If you do a search for freitag on Google, you will notice that freitag.ch (the guys that make Freitag Bags, page rank of 4) beats my blog petefreitag.com (page rank of 7).
This does show that PageRank is perhaps not as important as we all may like to think. Let's look at some reasons why they may be beating me:
- Their domain name is an exact match of the query (freitag.ch), mine is a partial match petefreitag.com. Also notice that freitag.com is the 7th result, and has a PageRank of 3.
- The first word in their page title is Freitag, it's the second word in mine, actually I use Freitag's.
- The anchor text in links pointing to their site may contain freitag more frequently, than links to my site.
- Google may have found that people are more interested in Freitag Bags when they search for freitag and sorts the results accordingly.
By the way Freitag means Friday in German.
- Googlebot to Submit Web Forms - April 23, 2008
- Pinging Search Engines when Sitemaps Change - July 18, 2007
- Sitemap hint in robots.txt - June 13, 2007
- GoogleBot Runs AJAX? - December 6, 2006
- New PageRank Update - October 20, 2005
- Redirect www and non https in IIS using web.config
- Not authorized to perform: ssm:GetParameters
- What is the difference between ASCII Chr(10) and Chr(13)
- Fixinator and Foundeo Security Bundle
- Running CFML on AWS Lambda with FuseLess Slides
- Updating Java on ColdFusion or Lucee
- ColdFusion returning empty response with server-error: true
- Careful applying CF11u16, CF2016u8, CF2018u2