Categories are Dead - Long live Tagging
Since implementing tags on my blog I have noticed that they are much more powerful than categories. Here's why:
- You find related items by searching for mutual tags between items. That's how I show you related posts on my blog.
- Faster than searching - If I want to find one of my previous posts, rather than going to my site, and using the search this site - I just type in the url to a tag. So if I wanted to find a previous post about mysql I just goto petefreitag.com/tag/mysql
- You can create one of those nifty tag clouds to see what is most popular.
- You can tag your RSS posts with specific keywords. If I tag an article with the word mysql it will show up on sites like technorati when you do a tag search.
- Use your tags as keywords - either for meta information, or for aiding search results.
Tim Yang points out several of the common problems of categories, such as orphan categories, mislabelling, changing terminology.
Clay Shirky has a good essay on this subject as well.
This one is filed under my Misc category!
Like this? Follow me ↯Tweet Follow @pfreitag
You might also like:
- Make your blog better with tags - October 14, 2005
- How To Make a Tag Cloud - June 24, 2005
- Related Posts - April 8, 2005
- Visualization of my del.icio.us tags - April 24, 2006
- Amazon Adds Tagging - November 15, 2005
- Now with Gravatar - November 15, 2005
- Increase Productivity with Action Tagging - August 1, 2005
- Performance of database tag schemas - June 20, 2005