Categories are Dead - Long live Tagging
By Pete Freitag
Since implementing tags on my blog I have noticed that they are much more powerful than categories. Here's why:
- You find related items by searching for mutual tags between items. That's how I show you related posts on my blog.
- Faster than searching - If I want to find one of my previous posts, rather than going to my site, and using the search this site - I just type in the url to a tag. So if I wanted to find a previous post about mysql I just goto petefreitag.com/tag/mysql
- You can create one of those nifty tag clouds to see what is most popular.
- You can tag your RSS posts with specific keywords. If I tag an article with the word mysql it will show up on sites like technorati when you do a tag search.
- Use your tags as keywords - either for meta information, or for aiding search results.
Tim Yang points out several of the common problems of categories, such as orphan categories, mislabelling, changing terminology.
Clay Shirky has a good essay on this subject as well called ontology overrated.
This one is filed under my Misc category!
Categories are Dead - Long live Tagging was first published on May 23, 2005.
If you like reading about tags, ontology, folksonomy, blogging, or blog then you might also like:
- Make your blog better with tags
- How To Make a Tag Cloud
- Related Posts
- Visualization of my del.icio.us tags