Tomcat Java 10 on Windows CreateJavaVM Failed
I ran into some issues getting the Lucee Tomcat 8.5 service to start on with Java 10.0.2 on a Windows 2016 Server. I was getting errors in the
commons-daemon log file like: CreateJavaVM Failed CreateJavaVM Failed The system cannot find the file specified.
Failed to start Java, and Failed creating java. My first instinct for this type of error is to make sure that the path to
jvm.dll is correct, it was.
Searching for the above errors did not yield any help - many solutions involved copying a msvcr dll files in to the java install, this did not make any difference. They also suggested setting a
JAVA_HOME environment variable, this did not help either.
It turns out the problem was that I was it was passing a JVM argument that is not supported on Java 10, in this case it was the
What really led me to the problem was running tomcat from the Command Prompt instead of trying to start it as a service. When I ran:
catalina.bat run it outputted the error:
-Djava.endorsed.dirs=C:\lucee\tomcat\endorsed is not supported. Endorsed standards and standalone APIs in modular form will be supported via the concept of upgradeable modules.
In this case the
endorsed folder did not even exist.
Now there was still an issue with Lucee running on Java 10 (or even Java 9) that caused it to throw a
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: sun/misc/VM exception. The
sun.misc.VM class is not found because they moved it to
jdk.internal.misc in Java 9+.
The solution for that problem on Lucee is to use Lucee 220.127.116.11+ or
18.104.22.168+. Since 5.2.9 is still in RC at this time there is not an installer, so I had to download the lucee.jar and replace
C:\lucee\lib\lucee-22.214.171.124.jar with it.
- Updating Java on ColdFusion or Lucee - March 21, 2019
- Java Unlimited Strength Crypto Policy for Java 9 or 1.8.0_151 - October 19, 2017
- Java 9 Security Enhancements - September 21, 2017
- HashDOS and ColdFusion - December 30, 2011
- Tomcat Virtual Directory Howto
- Communications link failure MySQL JDBC with TLS
- Redirect www and non https in IIS using web.config
- Not authorized to perform: ssm:GetParameters
- What is the difference between ASCII Chr(10) and Chr(13)
- Fixinator and Foundeo Security Bundle
- Running CFML on AWS Lambda with FuseLess Slides
- Updating Java on ColdFusion or Lucee