PostalMethods - Web Service for Snail Mail
I just noticed PostalMethods a new SOAP web service / API for sending snail mail via the US Postal Service. This service is from the folks at InterFax who have a nice web service for sending Faxes as well.
It was nice to see that they have code samples for ColdFusion!
Some potential uses for this new service:
- Mailing Address Verification - you can send an automated letter with a personalized code, and have them enter in the code to your web site.
- Security Nofications - You can send a letter to a users mailing address, when the account email or password is changed for verification purposes.
- Promotional Codes - Setup a scheduled task that runs through your customers and sends out a certain amount of coupons each month.
- Lots More - What would you use it for?
- REST vs SOAP Web Services - August 3, 2005
- ColdFusion SOAP Web Services and onRequestStart - November 19, 2009
- Going from SOAP to REST Web Services - August 17, 2007
- Web Services Problems with ColdFusion 8 on a Mac - August 16, 2007
- Textamerica MoBlog Developer API - April 15, 2005
We run a UK service which is a bit similar, but letters are from 25p+VAT (+ around 10p for international) - it's only cheaper as we run our own postal license and produce the print output in-house!
It's cool to see something similar across going on the pond.
Our concept started with MS Word Docs with server-side mail merging capability, so the genesis is a bit different, but the delivery is similar - accessible via web portal, with software integration via our API
For the API it's interesting just how diverse the users are. We've got from Spice Importers, to Retail Shops, Clothing Makers and Doctor's using it!
Our own postcards have taken off in a big way & our extended Greeting cards ordering (originally made for Xmas a few years back) is coming on too.
- Redirect www and non https in IIS using web.config
- Not authorized to perform: ssm:GetParameters
- What is the difference between ASCII Chr(10) and Chr(13)
- Fixinator and Foundeo Security Bundle
- Running CFML on AWS Lambda with FuseLess Slides
- Updating Java on ColdFusion or Lucee
- ColdFusion returning empty response with server-error: true
- Careful applying CF11u16, CF2016u8, CF2018u2