Pinging Search Engines when Sitemaps Change
Here's another little known feature about the sitemaps protocol, you can actually ping search engines and crawlers to tell them about your sitemap, or to tell them that it has changed.
It's pretty simple all you need to do is send a HTTP request to:
A few notes:
- The search engine ping url for google is
- Your sitemap url should be URL encoded, that means use the
URLEncodedFormatfunction if your using ColdFusion.
- If the ping is valid, it will return a HTTP 200 OK response code.
- Sitemap hint in robots.txt - June 13, 2007
- Google Webmaster Stats - November 17, 2005
- Google Sitemaps Accepts RSS and Atom Feeds - September 12, 2005
- Google Site Verification - September 12, 2005
- Loss of traffic due to Google sitemaps - July 24, 2005
- Docker Container exited with code 137
- Why is my cron.daily script not running?
- Announcing FuseGuard Version 3
- CFSummit 2017
- Java Unlimited Strength Crypto Policy for Java 9 or 1.8.0_151
- Java 9 Security Enhancements
- Upcoming CFML Conferences in April 2017
- CFSummit 2016 Slides