Top 10 Underrated Functions in ColdFusion
I gave a presentation at my local CFUG yesterday called 10 Underrated Functions in ColdFusion, I plan on doing one for tags as well at some point. Here was my list of functions, in no particular order:
- ValueList - Returns the contents of an entire query column in a string list.
- ExpandPath - Returns a server file path relative to the calling template.
- Hash - Encodes a string using MD5, or in CFMX 7 you can specify any hashing algorithm such as SHA.
- RandRange - Returns a random number bound by two integers.
- XmlFormat - Escapes special characters in XML, and can also be used to prevent cross site scripting attacks.
- IsValid - Validates that a string is in the specified format (email, ssn, integer, etc).
- GetMetricData - Gives server metrics, like average request time, etc.
- GetPageContext - Gets the JSP PageContext object. Can be used to include JSP files in a CFM page, and more.
- XmlSearch - Search an XML document using an XPath Query
Did I have any obvious omissions? What would be on your list?
Like this? Follow me ↯Tweet Follow @pfreitag
Top 10 Underrated Functions in ColdFusion was first published on January 10, 2007.
If you like reading about functions, cfml, coldfusion, valuelist, expandpath, hash, randrange, xmlformat, isvalid, getmetricdata, toscript, getpagecontext, xmlsearch, xpath, or cfug then you might also like:
- Parsing RSS 1.0 with ColdFusion MX
- RSS and XPath
- Getting the Application Root Path in ColdFusion
- Dumping HTTP Servlet Request Attributes and Parameters in CF
- 6 ways to stay connected with other CF developers
- ColdFusion Function Arguments now support Integer
- Fixinator and Foundeo Security Bundle
- CFSummit 2016 Slides
The FuseGuard Web Application Firewall for ColdFusion & CFML is a high performance, customizable engine that blocks various attacks against your ColdFusion applications.