Shell Script for backpack todo lists
I whipped up this shell script for adding items to your backpack todo list. I've tested this on Mac OSX 10.4 (Tiger) but it should work on any mac, and most unix operating systems if your using a bash shell.
Ok, to start create a
bin directory inside your home directory, if you do not already have one, and make it executable.
mkdir ~/bin chmod u+x ~/bin
Next create a file called
todo, and use the following for the contents:
#!/bin/bash ADDY="pageFunkyName@username.backpackit.com" SUB="Subject: todo: $1" echo $SUB | sendmail -f firstname.lastname@example.org $ADDY
Put the page email address in side the quotes in the
ADDY variable. Replace
email@example.com with your email address.
Now make sure your todo script is executable:
chmod u+x todo
And test it:
Note that if you want to use spaces, or multiple words you need to put the todo item in quotes:
~/bin/todo "things to do"
Now you probably don't want to type the
~/bin/ part every time, so lets add
~/bin to your path. Start by editing a file called
sudo vi /etc/profile
PATH variable to include
Note this will add the bin directory to the system path for every user on the computer.
The line may look something like this when your done:
Side note: A better way to do this is by editing the
~/.bashrcfiles, but they don't appear to be enabled by default on Mac OS X.
Now you can just type
todo "something to do" from anywhere inside your shell.
- The 15 Essential UNIX commands - July 29, 2005
- Working with /etc/hosts on Mac - December 1, 2008
- Anyone used MacFuse? - January 13, 2007
- Howto Backup your Mac incrementally over SSH - March 10, 2006
- USB Phone for Skype on Mac - March 3, 2006
- Redirect www and non https in IIS using web.config
- Not authorized to perform: ssm:GetParameters
- What is the difference between ASCII Chr(10) and Chr(13)
- Fixinator and Foundeo Security Bundle
- Running CFML on AWS Lambda with FuseLess Slides
- Updating Java on ColdFusion or Lucee
- ColdFusion returning empty response with server-error: true
- Careful applying CF11u16, CF2016u8, CF2018u2