Apache mod_rewrite URLs Also Provide Validation
I Realized something when using Apache mod_rewrite for search engine safe url's, they also provide input type validation. I can use mod_rewrite to ensure that only integers are passed in my url in the id.
For example, on my site macread I use url's like:
http://macread.com/feed/22 instead of something like
http://macread.com/feed.cfm?id=22. The nice side effect I have discovered to using Apache mod_rewrite to do this, is that your RewriteRules can also provide input validation.
I normally have to write a lot of code to ensure that people aren't trying to pass letters to throw errors, or injecting SQL into my urls, but with mod_rewrite, this validation is almost automatic, and if the validation fails, the user gets a 404!
Here's the code I use for search engine safe url's with Apache:
RewriteEngine On RewriteRule ^/news/([0-9]+)/?$ /news.cfm?id=$1 [PT,L]
This rule matches only the numbers 0-9 after /news/, it also allows an optional / at the end. If the pattern is not matched, a 404 page is returned.
If you are in-fact going to let apache be the only form of validation, you will also want to block direct access to your file. You can do that with this rule:
RewriteRule ^/news.cfm.* / [F,L]
The above code will respond with a 403 Forbidden response when someone tries to access /news.cfm directly.
- Apache Security Patches on CentOS / RHEL - November 22, 2013
- Blocking .svn and .git Directories on Apache or IIS - October 15, 2013
- Changing the ColdFusion CFIDE Scripts Location - January 10, 2011
- ColdFusion wsconfig Hotfix CVE-2009-1876 is for Apache Only - August 20, 2009
- 20 ways to Secure your Apache Configuration - December 6, 2005
- Burst Throttling on AWS API Gateway Explained
- How to Resolve Java HTTPS Exceptions
- Tomcat Java 10 on Windows CreateJavaVM Failed
- SameSite Cookies with IIS
- Facebook API Now Requires Review for user_friends Permission
- Docker Container exited with code 137
- Why is my cron.daily script not running?
- Announcing FuseGuard Version 3