The name is not a valid component name
I got a somewhat misleading error message today, it went something like this:
The name is not a valid component name. Component names cannot start or end with dots.
My component name did not have any dots in it, and I was trying to access it through the component browser.
It turns out the error message wasn't bad english, they were trying to tell me that the name "" is not a valid component name. I used the CFC wizard in cfeclipse to create the component, and it added an empty
extends attribute. I submitted this as bug #180 to the cfeclipse project.
I posted this for two reasons first so that anyone else who gets this error message doesn't have to spend as much time as I did figuring out why. And second so that Macromedia and New Atlanta can take note of these poor error messages. It would have been a bit easier to debug if they wrapped the name of the component with quotes. Descriptive error messages go a long ways to simplify application development.
- ColdFusion returning empty response with server-error: true
- Careful applying CF11u16, CF2016u8, CF2018u2
- Sessions don't work in Chrome but do in IE
- csrfVerifyToken does not invalidate the token
- The cf_sql_ is optional in cfqueryparam
- Cookie Expires / Max-Age 1969-12-31T23:59:59.000Z
- Burst Throttling on AWS API Gateway Explained
- How to Resolve Java HTTPS Exceptions