The name is not a valid component name
I got a somewhat misleading error message today, it went something like this:
The name is not a valid component name. Component names cannot start or end with dots.
My component name did not have any dots in it, and I was trying to access it through the component browser.
It turns out the error message wasn't bad english, they were trying to tell me that the name "" is not a valid component name. I used the CFC wizard in cfeclipse to create the component, and it added an empty
extends attribute. I submitted this as bug #180 to the cfeclipse project.
I posted this for two reasons first so that anyone else who gets this error message doesn't have to spend as much time as I did figuring out why. And second so that Macromedia and New Atlanta can take note of these poor error messages. It would have been a bit easier to debug if they wrapped the name of the component with quotes. Descriptive error messages go a long ways to simplify application development.
- Tomcat Virtual Directory Howto
- Communications link failure MySQL JDBC with TLS
- Redirect www and non https in IIS using web.config
- Not authorized to perform: ssm:GetParameters
- What is the difference between ASCII Chr(10) and Chr(13)
- Fixinator and Foundeo Security Bundle
- Running CFML on AWS Lambda with FuseLess Slides
- Updating Java on ColdFusion or Lucee