OK, first off, I read ALL the reviews, and it seam to me the top two programs were WinPLOSION and Entbloess. These programs got very mixed reviews, it seamed more people liked WinPLOSION though. I tried both....
And what surpised me...
Wow! I can't belive all the "WinPLOSION" fans out there. Have you guys tried Entbloess 2? It blows WinPLOSION out of the water! In the ability of all the settings, the quality, the smoothness, speediness, everything. In some respects, it's BETTER then Expose! (Not the quality of the video, because nothing could ever come close, but the customizability of it.)
SO I did a PRO/CON test on both programs.
- Ability to customize hot corner size
- Ability to adjust animation
- Ability to turn off animation
- Ability to save or not save screenshots in memory
- Ability to turn off or on minimized windows
- Ability to exclude applications (in list form)
- Ability to "take settings to default"
- Usually very slowly to react
- Usually very buggy in the quality/speed/smoothness and flickered all the time! (as surfboy said, flickery)
(some of the problems were fixed by "alternative capture method", whatever that is)
- Desktop hot corner/key seamed to freak my display out, very flickery and slow! Especially if you hit it twice to get back to your windows.
- Slightly lengthy startup (Longer then Entbloess 2)
- NO title displayed (Heck Entbloess displays the title AND you can customize what the title looks like!)
- It ate my system! As I was typing this with WinPLOSION, my text was actually being delayed, it was practically bringing my system to a halt, and my machine is fairly fast, but not screaming. (a Pentium4 2.8GHz with 512 PC-2700 DDR RAM and a ATI RAEDOM 9200 w/ 64mb of ram)
- Windows do not highlight on mouse over (Expose does it, Entbloess does it, why not WinPLOSION?)
- NO Ability to turn off hot key operation
- HUGE amount of customizable settings (almost unwieldy, could even be a CON in some eyes! Not simple enough to use or streamline?)
- Ability to Disable/Enable program (to turn it off without closing the application)
- Quick startup
- Ability to clear resources
- Dynamic help window (VERY helpful for first time users, especially with the amazing amount of settings)
- AND ability to turn off the dynamic help window.
- Ability to turn off/on system tray icon
- Ability to turn off/on program start on windows startup
- Ability to customize the "preview" options, gives you the ability to customize if it captures windows that it already has captured, capture all windows all the time, or none at all, or only ones that have changed size. This helps balance performance with functionality for all types of computer speeds.
- Ability to update foreground window, or at intervals
- Enable live previews or not (this DOES work, as Slunk noted, like my music player was moving along, but windows media player video did not display)
- Ability to adjust quality of captures
- Ability to turn off/on regions into account (ie: the locations of your windows)
- Ability to change screen captures method, "print window" method, or screen whenever possible.
- Change/Add background image, use desktop image, no image, OR background color
- Adjust spacing
- Ability to turn off animation, slide animation, fade animation, OR both slide/fade
- Ability to change font of title, shadow, outline, font color, etc.
- Ability to turn off/on hot keys and corners
- Customize minimized windows in FOUR different options: show caption bar only (MY personal favorite, takes up less space, and u can still access them), restore all, restore all AND THEN minimize, OR don't show at all. HOW AWESOME!!!
- 8 HOT spot locations! All corners AND in between corners.
- Hotspot delay control (Instant -> Delayed) to help with accidental activation
- Very smooth and and fast desktop hot key/corner NO FLICKER!
Misc Notes on Entbloess:
SOMETIMES I was able to control the program once all windows were shown. Which I thought was REALLY neat!! For example, I could tab between fields in certain programs, or go to next track in iTunes, or arrow down in my messenger buddy list. However sometimes the tab and arrow keys would tab or arrow through highlighting the captured windows. Not sure if this is a pro or con because it seamed very inconsistent. I thought it was really neat to be able to control the programs inside their screen captures. However I could only do it sometimes, and when I could, I could not tab or arrow between windows, which ALSO was a nice feature. Hmm!
Couldn't decide if it was a pro or con, because it was not consistent. Both features were nice. I just wish it would do both at the same time, and all the time.
The intermittent (problem?) thing above in "misc." I honestly could not find anything wrong with this! It's a great mimic of Expose. That said, one more con...
It's not Expose!
I can't comment on the "function keys" much either, I use my hot corners.