Ajax Same Origin Policy No More with Firefox 3.5
Firefox 3.5 now allows you to make AJAX Requests, or more correctly XMLHttpRequests cross domain (in other words foo.com can make XHR requests to bar.com). When I heard about this, my first is that they would use the
cross-domain.xml file that Flash has supported for years to achieve this. They took a different approach, and use a HTTP header instead, which I think makes more sense.
So how does it work...
When you make a request using the
XMLHttpRequest object it sends an
Origin header (this is new, I wrote a blog entry about the Origin header as well) which contains the domain of the requesting page. The HTTP Response can send a HTTP header:
Access-Control-Allow-Origin: * which means that any domain can access this page. You could also send a response header like this:
Access-Control-Allow-Origin: http://example.com which only allows the example.com as an origin. The
Access-Control-Allow-Origin header should contain a comma separated list of acceptable domains or a
For POST requests, and requests that want to read response headers a HTTP
OPTIONS request is made first, that sends headers such as
# Access-Control-Request-Method: POST in the request.
You can read more about this feature here
- AJAX on IE - back to the IFRAME - August 17, 2005
- Firefox 3.5 Introduces Origin Header, Security Features - June 30, 2009
- AJAX Presentation Outline - December 13, 2005
- Cross Domain Data Theft using CSS - July 21, 2010
- jQuery UI Sortable Tutorial - January 7, 2010
From firefox I can't access the contents of jsp file on the server due to cross-domain issue. Should I set the header in the jsp file and access the contents as I am doing now... kindly suggest.. I am struggling to solve this problem for long...
- My CFSummit 2015 Slide Decks
- Adding Chrome Custom Search for CFDocs
- Disable Flash Remoting on ColdFusion Servers
- HackMyCF Adds SSL/TLS Scanner
- IncompatibleClassChangeError after ColdFusion 11 Update 5
- Scope Injection in CFML
- Upload Files Directly to Amazon S3 using ColdFusion
- Minor JavaDocs.org Update