While working today I had to write an error message that a user would see if their session had timed out. I was tempted to write something like:
Sorry your session has expired please login again.
But I quickly realized that the average user has no idea what a session is referring to, and why it has expired. In some cases the user may think that their account has expired. Users may also not understand what you mean by a timeout - that's where you send the bad kids?
Us web developers often throw technical jargon into our web applications without much thought. I've done it, and I've seen lots of messages that only a web developer would understand out there.
Lets try to be better about this, ok?
- Spelling Strikes Again - November 16, 2007
- Bad Error Message - May 23, 2005
- Google says disable your firewall - December 10, 2005
- Why is my cron.daily script not running?
- Announcing FuseGuard Version 3
- CFSummit 2017
- Java Unlimited Strength Crypto Policy for Java 9 or 1.8.0_151
- Java 9 Security Enhancements
- Upcoming CFML Conferences in April 2017
- CFSummit 2016 Slides
- Securing Legacy CFML - dev.Objective() 2016 Slides