It takes more than just PageRank
Here's a great example showing that it takes more than just a higher PageRank to be the #1 result in google for a given query. If you do a search for freitag on Google, you will notice that freitag.ch (the guys that make Freitag Bags, page rank of 4) beats my blog petefreitag.com (page rank of 7).
This does show that PageRank is perhaps not as important as we all may like to think. Let's look at some reasons why they may be beating me:
- Their domain name is an exact match of the query (freitag.ch), mine is a partial match petefreitag.com. Also notice that freitag.com is the 7th result, and has a PageRank of 3.
- The first word in their page title is Freitag, it's the second word in mine, actually I use Freitag's.
- The anchor text in links pointing to their site may contain freitag more frequently, than links to my site.
- Google may have found that people are more interested in Freitag Bags when they search for freitag and sorts the results accordingly.
By the way Freitag means Friday in German.
- Googlebot to Submit Web Forms - April 23, 2008
- Pinging Search Engines when Sitemaps Change - July 18, 2007
- Sitemap hint in robots.txt - June 13, 2007
- GoogleBot Runs AJAX? - December 6, 2006
- New PageRank Update - October 20, 2005
- My CFSummit 2015 Slide Decks
- Adding Chrome Custom Search for CFDocs
- Disable Flash Remoting on ColdFusion Servers
- HackMyCF Adds SSL/TLS Scanner
- IncompatibleClassChangeError after ColdFusion 11 Update 5
- Scope Injection in CFML
- Upload Files Directly to Amazon S3 using ColdFusion
- Minor JavaDocs.org Update