Howto Remove Skype Plugin Markup with jQuery
If you have installed the latest version of Skype on Windows, it automatically installs browser plugins for IE and FireFox. The browser plugin detects phone numbers on the page injects markup with clickable links to dial the number in Sykpe.
This has caused some issues for Web Developers because the plugin sometimes picks up text that is not actually a phone number. Or it can screw up a design that has fixed width requirements.
So how do you disable this nice feature? Skype had supported a meta tag at one point:
<meta name="SKYPE_TOOLBAR" content="SKYPE_TOOLBAR_PARSER_COMPATIBLE" />
This meta tag is not supported in the Current Version, as confirmed by a Skype Employee.
The HTML that the plugin injects is all styled with CSS using
It's annoying that Skype makes you go through these hoops to disable their plugin, it would be nice if they supported something like this:
<meta content="telephone=no" name="format-detection">
Which you can use to tell mobile phones such as an iPhone not to detect phone numbers on the page.
- Getting Started with jQuery Mobile - October 29, 2010
- jQuery UI Autocomple IE 6 Select List z-Index Issues - August 16, 2010
- Using jQuery UI Autocomplete with Hidden ID's - July 14, 2010
- jQuery UI Sortable Tutorial - January 7, 2010
Is this possible?
I had the code in my website but I still have the some problem in IE.
You know what I can do to get rid of that in IE as well?
So there's how to do it :
Let's say you want to add this
telephone number to your website :
So this number will actually be detected by skype plug-in, and in order to avoid it, just add an HTML comment inside, like this :
1-234-5<!--Anti Skype Plug-in Comment-->67-8910
Or just put some random text.
<meta name=”SKYPE_TOOLBAR” content =”SKYPE_TOOLBAR_PARSER_COMPATIBLE”/>
- Tomcat Java 10 on Windows CreateJavaVM Failed
- SameSite Cookies with IIS
- Facebook API Now Requires Review for user_friends Permission
- Docker Container exited with code 137
- Why is my cron.daily script not running?
- Announcing FuseGuard Version 3
- CFSummit 2017
- Java Unlimited Strength Crypto Policy for Java 9 or 1.8.0_151