Google Blog Search - Not Impressed
Google has no doubt not suprised anyone with their new Blog Search BETA.
What is suprising is the search result quality. I was hoping the Google would use their immense trust of brain power to come up with a blog search that produces good accurate and relavent results. But they didn't.
The main problem google has yet to tackle is blog spam. Try searching for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - a best selling book with lots of blog entries. In the top 10 most relavent results 8 out of 10 of the results were spam! The blog entry consists of nothing more than the phrase Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince repeated about 10 times. (I just realized that this post is going to throw off the results of that search.)
These results tell me two things. First, it must be really easy to spam this search engine (AltaVista Circa 1995). And second they aren't using any where near the technology they use to calculate relevancy in the regular google SERP's. Don't you think the blog search relevence results ought to use backlinks?
Blog spam is a big problem for google - it is estimated that 40-60% of google's own blogspot blogs are spam.
This all leaves me a bit confused, and unimpressed. If anyone knows web search, its google - but perhaps no one yet understands blog search. I wouldn't have thought it would be all that different from web search.
Another thing I found annoying was the redirect pages. The first thing I did when I found out about blog search was check my logs to see if I was getting any traffic from blogsearch. Google has made it impossible to track what keywords were used.
I was talking to Jason Dowdell about it, and I think they were put there when Google was testing internally, they just forgot to take them out. It looks like that may be the case, and will be gone in a day or two.
In my view Google blog search has only one thing going for them right now - speed
What do you think?
- Google Code Search for ColdFusion - July 14, 2008
- ColdFusion Search Engine Using Google Coop - October 24, 2006
- Job Maps - Indeed Job Search + Google Maps - September 11, 2006
- Over 90% of trackbacks were spam - March 2, 2006
- 4 Google Tricks - September 21, 2005
- Docker Container exited with code 137
- Why is my cron.daily script not running?
- Announcing FuseGuard Version 3
- CFSummit 2017
- Java Unlimited Strength Crypto Policy for Java 9 or 1.8.0_151
- Java 9 Security Enhancements
- Upcoming CFML Conferences in April 2017
- CFSummit 2016 Slides