AdSense Optimization Tips (from google)
Google recently held a webinar for AdSense publishers. They gave out some adsense optimization tips that they have gathered over the past few years. The transcript is pretty lengthy, so here's the summary:
- Ad Location - "the middle, above the fold location perform best." Also "if you have an article page with a long body of text, the bottom of that article is actually pretty successful"
- Ad Formats - "the top three formats are the 336x280 that you see on the page; the 300x250 medium rectangle; and then the 160x600 wide skyscraper." Additionally "the wider ad formats are doing better than the other ones and the reason is that they actually take up fewer lines. And so with every additional line, you have a chance of losing that interested user."
- Ad Colors - Pick colors that blend well with the site. Matches the background color, and compliments the site. Make them feel like a part of the site. They give an example where a customer went from blended background to yellow, and clicks dropped 65%
- Ad Blindness - if the colors stick out too much, readers may immediatly identify them as ads and not even look at them. Also frequent readers may stop reading ads so you could alternate positioning and colors to get their attention. "The more you blend in with the site, the less chance that ad blindness will occur."
- Experiment - this was a big theme in the webinar echoed by all experts. Use channels to test different colors, positioning, and formats to find out what works best. They show that you can more than double your revenue just by finding the right color, position, format combo.
- Image Ads - If you want to maximize revenue they recommend turning them on. I personally disable them in my account, because I find them too distracting/annoying to the user. Yes you may increase your CPC, but you will probably decrease impressions over time.
- Link Units - Don't take up much space, and also "allows the user to refine what they're interested in. So if they may not be interested in specific ads on your page, they might be interested in a particular topic, and by clicking on a link unit and a link in the link unit, they'll be able to specify that they're interested in that specific topic and get a lot more options and variety on the ads that might appear." I also bet google remembers what they click on and then tries to generate better ads for the page... just my speculation.
- AdSense For Search - You can use this for your site search, and you get a percentage of ad clicks.
- Focus on Content - Duh!
- Don't click on your own ads - One of the callers asked the question "I was just noticing that someone asked about clicking on their own ads and it says you're not supposed to. And I don't remember reading that. And I occasionally do click on the ads... So is that detrimental in some way?" - I can't believe they said that to google. Google's response was: "Yes, that's sort of chief among the terms and conditions".
- Impression Counter - Google confirmed that Page Impressions are counted when a public service ad (or alternate ad url or color) is displayed.
- Your site is unique - all these things may not matter, the best location, format, and color is different for every site. So again, go experiment.
Haven't signed up for AdSense Yet?
Permalink | Add Comment | add to del.icio.us | Tags: advertising, adsense, google, optimization, tips
- Google AdLinks - March 15, 2005
- Quick Google CDN jQuery Tip - January 13, 2011
- MySQL Optimization Hints - January 2, 2007
- 4 Google Tricks - September 21, 2005
- Search Engine Ranking Factors - July 26, 2005
Tim yang also has a good writeup of the tips here: http://timyang.com/2005/07/google-adsense-optimization-webinar/
that is some good info. Try checking out www.adsenseoptimized.com for excellent tips and articles.
Very interesting. Check out this new blog that seems to echo these same sentiments: http://oodlesofadsensecash.blogspot.com
your tips are good.i've added some tips from google official webinar in my blog http://google-adsense-optimization.blogspot.com
This is good. You can see more of my articles on Optimization Tips from http://www.optimizationtips.com or http://optimization-tips.blogspot.com. I pass on everything that I learn through these sites. -Guna
Like the article. Pretty informative. Use it. http://matthewscottshelbourn.blogspot.com
Nice and succinct. There are few places with good tips online. Here's one of my favs which will supplement the good work Petes done: http://www.understandingadsense.com
come on learn how to create the cartoon for free!! http://tutorial.zor.org
http://www.ajaxprojects.com for ajax tutorials, toolkits and projects
Here is a guide to beginners http://www.makefreemoneyathome.info/
I have recently launched the site http://www.simplyimagehosting.net PLZ CHECK THIS OUT AND SUGGEST SOME TIPS
Hi,waht do you think? I need your help. www.allkenya.co.ke
I would have really liked to go to that seminar! But just based on my own experience I agree matching the colors with the background is key. Making the ads feel like part of the whole website reduces ad blindness and improves, not worsens the experience a person has visiting your site. I use a combination of image and text ads, because it seems people are attracted to differnent things on different days. It helps keep my website looking fresh. Mark http://www.getpowers.com
I have been experimenting with many different combination of adsense ads on my website: http://www.mrcheapstuff.com The one that seems to work best for me is the 300x250 medium rectangle. Has anyone use Chikita minimalls at all?
Try GetPaid2Search.com if you want to get paid from AdSense but you don't have a website.
Pete, this a very handy adsense tips. Nice and helpful to many Adsense followers.
Theis site uses google adsense in an iframe loaded via an ajax request when you view a podcast episode's comments. Pretty cool. http://www.addic.tv/
Free Adsense tools at http://googleadmagic.com
Excellent article on ad placements. You're right the inline content placements work by far the best. Theres more excellent Adsense Optimization advice at: http://www.accelerated-ideas.com/Absolute-Adsense/aiAdsensePlacements.aspx
Look at how I blend my adsense ads color in the header of this blog -> http://adnan. biz <- and improve clicks
See my blended of Adsense codes.. www.adsense.aridztech.com
tip and trick adsense. http://adsense-tips-and-tirck.blogspot.com/
Well, I can't say I'm an expert but I'm trying my best to blend with it ... Have a peek at my site at ... http://www.mommadiary.com ... and let me know how I'm doing. Advice, critics, anyone?
Your tips are great. I was earning zero from Adsense even I had 200 impressions. My CTR (0.1% income US$ 0.01 per click). But I was able to earn from Adsense by optimizing my ads.(CTR went to 6%) Have a look at my site. http://adsense-substitute.blogspot.com
Mentioning about Ad Blindness makes it complete tutorial for Ad optimization. Some publishers color the Ads in such a way that the visitors get annoyed and leaves the page. http://adsense-primer.blogspot.com
Best advice above : Experiment!
you should try out this automatic clicker. Not for adsense but another company. http://wiredglitz.blogspot.com/2008/03/earn-money-just-by-surfing.html
Awesome info! I will def. be using some of this on my site! www.AdsenseCheese.com
Thanks for the tips! AdSense is great, but lately I've been making more with Chitika. In fact, over the last year I compiled some statistics of my earnings and I actually earned twice as much with Chitika compared to AdSense. For those of you curious about Chitika, check out this Chitika review: http://snurl.com/chitika-review
hi good blog. i like it. i have one site related to adsense coaching for higher earning http://www.mdyakub.com Pls visit my site at your convenient and advise me for any improvement. thanks md. yakub chowdhury email@example.com http://www.mdyakub.com adsense coaching for higher earning
Adsense Blog: www.gokhanblog.com
There are some useful adsense optimization, but don?t forget to increase your traffic site. Remeber, that if there are many people goes to your site, i think the chance your ads will clicked is high.. So this tips must be completed with increasing your traffic blog.. Need help to maximize your earning from adsense? just visit www.mascepluk.blogspot.com I wish i can help you?. :)
goog post, please learn me hot to filter adsense
Hey Could you Please Post some posts on Bing Seo I have done some research on that but still have learn a lot , My posts are at cashbrite.in
Great information - Thank you for sharing... I've been attempting to optimize http://avayaflare.org and http://hphalo.org as of late and I think this may help.
Nice summary, here are another article with adSense optimization list:
website search optimization
nice info,here are another article with adSense optimization list http:/adsenseclub.com
ativan vs alprazolam alprazolam liver function http://support.roylaurie.com/index.php/topic,86384.0.html alprazolam for flying alprazolam toxicology report
- Updating Java on ColdFusion or Lucee
- ColdFusion returning empty response with server-error: true
- Careful applying CF11u16, CF2016u8, CF2018u2
- Sessions don't work in Chrome but do in IE
- csrfVerifyToken does not invalidate the token
- The cf_sql_ is optional in cfqueryparam
- Cookie Expires / Max-Age 1969-12-31T23:59:59.000Z
- Burst Throttling on AWS API Gateway Explained