Setup ColdFusion 9.0.1 Fully Patched
Adobe this week released a security hotfix for the HashDos vulnerability for ColdFusion versions 8.0 through 9.0.1. Today I was setting up a new secure ColdFusion instance for a client, and I though I'd document the steps needed to go from ColdFusion 9.0 to ColdFusion 9.0.1 fully patched (this doesn't include other lockdown steps I may take, this is just focused on what patches to install).
- Install ColdFusion 9.0 - If you are running on IIS7, you may want to skip the Web Server Connector, and do it manually after the next step (so you can skip installing IIS6 compatibility mode).
- Install ColdFusion 9.0.1
- Configure IIS7 using wsconfig - If you are running IIS7 you can now use the native IIS7 connector provided in the ColdFusion 9.0.1 update, run
- Install ColdFusion 9.0.1 Cumulative Hotfix 2 - This includes all security hotfixes prior to and including APSB11-14.
- Install APSB12-21 September 2012 Using Section 1 - This hotfix includes prior security hotfixes such as ABSP11-29, ABSP12-06, and APSB12-15, we know this because the instructions tell you to delete prior hotfixes:
hf901-00001.jar, hf901-00002.jar, hf901-00003.jar, hf901-00004.jar or hf901-00005.jarif they exist..
- Check with Adobe Security to make sure no hotfixes were posted prior to September 11, 2012 (when this page was last updated)
I have updated this page several times as new hotfixes are released for CF 9.0.1, so you may consider bookmarking this page.
If you are not sure what hotfixes you have installed our HackMyCF paid service can let you know which hotfixes are installed and which are not on CF 9.0.1 - here's a screenshot showing an out of date server:
What about ColdFusion 9.0.2?
As you may know ColdFusion 9.0.2 is the latest version of ColdFusion that you can download - it includes all security patches (up to and including APSB12-15) out of the box. Once 9.0.2 is installed you will also need to install security hotfix APSB12-21.
- HackMyCF Updated for APSB11-29 Security Hotfix - December 15, 2011
- Recent ColdFusion Security Hotfix Updated Today - March 7, 2011
- Path Traversal Vulnerability Security Hotfix for ColdFusion Released - August 12, 2010
- ColdFusion wsconfig Hotfix CVE-2009-1876 is for Apache Only - August 20, 2009
- ColdFusion Security Hotfixes Released - August 18, 2009
APSB1215 for 9.0.1
They both seem to be released about the same time, but it appears as though 9.0.2 is the new fully patched install, true???
- Java 9 Security Enhancements
- Upcoming CFML Conferences in April 2017
- CFSummit 2016 Slides
- Securing Legacy CFML - dev.Objective() 2016 Slides
- My CFSummit 2015 Slide Decks
- Adding Chrome Custom Search for CFDocs
- Disable Flash Remoting on ColdFusion Servers
- HackMyCF Adds SSL/TLS Scanner