Getting Started with jQuery Mobile
Yesterday I had a chance to get my feet wet with the Alpha 1 release of jQuery Mobile for one of my clients. Prior to yesterday I had been working with jqTouch for mobile UI.
Overall I really like the way it's built, you can simply use the
data-role attribute to turn markup into mobile widgets. For example want to turn a link into a button, just use:
<a href="#section" data-role="button">Do Stuff</a>
Want to turn a
ul into a list control, use
Easy to Learn
jQuery Mobile is very easy to learn, and because of that I think it is going to be a very successful project. I was able to rewrite a jqTouch app into jQuery Mobile in a couple hours, using a majority of the features.
Still an Alpha
I did find a few issues in the Alpha release that I had to work around, they all center around not being able to dynamically change the markup. For example I was populating my
listview from an AJAX request, and it was not being styled properly. They have provided a way to refresh styling in the latest version of jQuery Mobile from github, you can now simply call:
So which is better jQuery Mobile or jqTouch?
Right now jqTouch is a bit more stable, but I much prefer working with jQuery mobile, and I'm confident they will iron out all the issues. I was actually able to work around all issues I had, and for an Alpha release it's actually pretty well done!
More on jQuery Mobile
Look for some more blog entries on jQuery Mobile in the coming weeks. I am going to be giving a presentation on using it with PhoneGap at my local ColdFusion User Group meeting in December, so I'll be sure to post my slides here.
- Building iPhone Android Apps with jQuery Mobile and PhoneGap Slides - January 12, 2011
- HTML5 Input Type Keyboards on iPhone & Android Devices - November 15, 2010
- jQuery UI Autocomple IE 6 Select List z-Index Issues - August 16, 2010
- Using jQuery UI Autocomplete with Hidden ID's - July 14, 2010
- jQuery UI Sortable Tutorial - January 7, 2010
- Minor JavaDocs.org Update
- nginx Directive rewrite is not terminated
- Using Mozilla's Certificate Authority List for Java SSL
- SessionRotate solution for JEE Sessions
- False TemplateNotFoundException ColdFusion 9
- ColdFusion defaults avoid flawed Random Number Generator
- Apache Security Patches on CentOS / RHEL
- FuseGuard 2.4 Released