Top 10 Underrated Functions in ColdFusion
I gave a presentation at my local CFUG yesterday called 10 Underrated Functions in ColdFusion, I plan on doing one for tags as well at some point. Here was my list of functions, in no particular order:
- ValueList - Returns the contents of an entire query column in a string list.
- ExpandPath - Returns a server file path relative to the calling template.
- Hash - Encodes a string using MD5, or in CFMX 7 you can specify any hashing algorithm such as SHA.
- RandRange - Returns a random number bound by two integers.
- XmlFormat - Escapes special characters in XML, and can also be used to prevent cross site scripting attacks.
- IsValid - Validates that a string is in the specified format (email, ssn, integer, etc).
- GetMetricData - Gives server metrics, like average request time, etc.
- GetPageContext - Gets the JSP PageContext object. Can be used to include JSP files in a CFM page, and more.
- XmlSearch - Search an XML document using an XPath Query
Did I have any obvious omissions? What would be on your list?
- Parsing RSS 1.0 with ColdFusion MX - April 8, 2004
- RSS and XPath - April 8, 2004
- Getting the Application Root Path in ColdFusion - April 9, 2007
- CFSummit 2016 Slides - October 17, 2016
- Scope Injection in CFML - March 3, 2015
- CFSummit 2016 Slides
- Securing Legacy CFML - dev.Objective() 2016 Slides
- My CFSummit 2015 Slide Decks
- Adding Chrome Custom Search for CFDocs
- Disable Flash Remoting on ColdFusion Servers
- HackMyCF Adds SSL/TLS Scanner
- IncompatibleClassChangeError after ColdFusion 11 Update 5
- Scope Injection in CFML